What is Palak?
Palak is a leafy green vegetable that is popular in Indian cuisine. It is high in vitamins A and C, and is a good source of folic acid and iron. Palak can be eaten cooked or raw and is often used in soups, stews, and curries.
Some of the health benefits of consuming palak include:
1. Palak is a good source of vitamins A and C, which are essential for maintaining immune system function.
2. Palak is also a good source of folic acid, which is vital for pregnant women to prevent congenital disabilities.
3. Palak contains antioxidants that can help protect against certain cancers and heart disease.
4. Palak may also help improve digestion and promote regularity.
5. Finally, palak is a low-calorie food that can help you reach or maintain a healthy body weight.
Further Reading: Sabudana Khichdi Recipe – Healthy Comfort Food
What is Palak Khichdi?
Palak khichdi is a traditional dish made with rice, lentils, and spinach. It is a simple and healthy meal that can be enjoyed by people of all ages. Palak khichdi is high in protein and fiber and is a good source of vitamins and minerals. This dish is served with a dollop of ghee or yogurt on top.
The origin of Palak Khichdi
No one is quite sure how Palak Khichdi came to be, but there are many theories. One theory suggests that it was invented by a group of friends who were looking for a way to use up some leftover spinach. Another theory suggests that it was created by a chef trying to develop a new dish for his restaurant. Regardless of how it was invented, Palak Khichdi has become a popular dish in India and is often served as a vegetarian alternative to rice.
Further Reading: A Simple And Healthy Recipe: Dal Khichdi
Can you eat Palak Khichdi when you are trying to lose weight?
Yes, palak khichdi is good for health as it is packed with nutrients. It is a wholesome meal in itself and is very easy to digest. Palak khichdi is rich in iron and folic acid, which are essential for the formation of new red blood cells. It also contains vitamins A, C, and K, which are good for the eyes, skin, and immune system. In addition, Palak khichdi is a low-calorie dish and is therefore ideal for those who are looking to lose weight.
Why is Palak Khichdi loved?
There are many reasons why so many people love palak khichdi. For one, it is a healthy and nutritious dish that is packed with vitamins and minerals. It is also a very versatile dish that can be made to suit any taste. Additionally, palak khichdi is very easy to make and can be prepared in just a few minutes. Finally, palak khichdi is a great way to get your daily dose of greens.
Palak Khichdi Recipe
1 cup rice
1 cup moong dal
2 tablespoons ghee
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2-3 green chillies, finely chopped
1 large tomato, finely chopped
1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste
2 cups spinach leaves, chopped
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon red chilli powder
salt to taste
- Give the rice and dal a good wash. Soak them in sufficient water for about 30 minutes. Drain it well and keep it to the side.
- Take some ghee and heat it in a pressure cooker. Add cumin seeds and wait till they start to splutter.
- Add the onions and green chillies, and sauté them until the onions turn a light brown colour.
- Add the tomatoes and ginger-garlic paste and sauté them for a few more minutes.
- Throw in the drained rice, dal, spinach leaves, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, and salt.
- Stir it well and add 2 cups of water.
- Cook it in a pressure cooker for a duration of 3 whistles or until the rice and dal are fully cooked.
- Serve the yummy Palak khichdi hot with yogurt or pickle on the side.
Further Reading: Moong dal khichdi Recipe- A wholesome & delicious meal
Tips for making Palak Khichdi Recipe
When it comes to making palak khichdi, there are a few things you can do to ensure that your dish comes out perfect every time. Here are our top tips:
1. Use fresh spinach leaves for the best flavour and texture.
2. Cook the rice and dal separately before adding them to the spinach. This will help prevent the rice from getting mushy.
3. Add plenty of ghee or butter for a rich and creamy khichdi.
4. Season well with salt, pepper, and other spices of your choice.
5. Let the khichdi rest for a few minutes before serving so that all the flavours can meld together beautifully.
This Palak Khichdi Recipe is hearty, nutritious, and easy to make. It is perfect for a weekday meal or brunch. It prepared in under 30 minutes! So the next time you are looking for a quick and healthy meal, give this palak khichdi a try.