Sabudana khichdi is a dish made with tapioca pearls, spices, and herbs. It is popular in India and is often served as a breakfast or snack. The dish can be made with either white or brown tapioca pearls, but brown tapioca pearls are more commonly used. Sabudana khichdi can be made vegetarian or non-vegetarian, depending on the ingredients used. It is most commonly eaten during religious fasting periods. It is made by cooking the tapioca in water until it is soft, then adding spices and other ingredients such as vegetables, peanuts, and potatoes.
Further reading: A Simple And Healthy Recipe: Dal Khichdi
The origin of sabudana khichdi
There are many theories about the origin of sabudana khichdi, but the most likely story is that it was created by the people of Maharashtra in western India. The dish is traditionally made with tapioca pearls, which are native to the region. It’s thought that the dish was created as a way to use up leftover tapioca pearls, and it quickly became a popular meal among the people of Maharashtra. Today, sabudana khichdi is enjoyed all over India and has become a popular street food. It’s usually made with boiled potatoes, spices, and green chilies and can be served as a main meal or as a snack. So whether you’re eating it for breakfast, lunch, or dinner, sabudana khichdi is sure to satisfy your hunger.
Is sabudana khichdi healthy?
While sabudana khichdi is generally considered a healthy dish, there are some concerns about its nutritional content. Sabudana khichdi is high in carbohydrates and calories, and it does not contain a lot of protein. The dish is also fried in oil, increasing calorie and fat content. So, if you are trying to lose weight or watch your caloric intake, you may want to avoid eating sabudana khichdi on a regular basis. However, sabudana khichdi can be part of a healthy diet if you Balance it with other nutritious foods. For example, it can be a good source of energy before or after a workout. And, if you are looking for a gluten-free option, sabudana khichdi is a good choice since it does not contain wheat or gluten.
Further reading: Moong dal khichdi Recipe- A wholesome & delicious meal
What are the benefits of consuming tapioca pearls?
There are many benefits to consuming tapioca pearls. They are a good source of energy and have a high starch content, making them an excellent food for athletes and people looking to increase their energy levels. Tapioca pearls also have a low glycemic index, which means they are slowly absorbed into the bloodstream and don’t cause a sudden spike in blood sugar levels. This makes them a good choice for people with diabetes or those trying to regulate their blood sugar levels. Finally, tapioca pearls are a good source of fiber, which can help to promote digestive health and prevent constipation.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Makes: 4 servings
- 1 1/2 cups of sago
- 1/4 cup of peanuts
- 4-5 green chillies
- 1 medium-sized potato
- 3 tablespoons of ghee
- 1-2 sprigs of curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons of freshly scraped coconut
- a few sprigs of fresh coriander
1. Firstly, wash the sabudana well and immerse it in one cup of water for about four hours. The sabudana pearls should become moist and separated.
2. Roast the peanuts on a hot pan, peel off the skin and grind it into a coarse powder.
3. Wash the green chillies, pluck out the stems and then chop the chillies finely. Peel and wash the potato and cut them into half-centimetre cubes. Finally, wash and chop the coriander leaves.
4. Heat the ghee in a pan; add the curry leaves, cumin seeds, and chopped green chillies. When the cumin seeds start to crackle, add the potato cubes.
5. Cook until the potatoes are done. Add in the sabudana, scraped coconut, and ground peanuts. Sauté it for four to five minutes, and keep stirring well.
6. Sprinkle a little water and add some salt and lime juice. Mix it well. Remove it from the heat and sprinkle the chopped coriander leaves on top.
7. Serve the sabudana khichdi hot.
This sabudana khichdi recipe is a delicious, easy-to-make dish that is perfect for any occasion. Whether you’re looking for a quick and easy snack or a hearty meal, this dish will definitely hit the spot. Made with tapioca pearls, rice, and spices, this dish is sure to please everyone at the table. So what are you waiting for? Give this recipe a try today!