What is Chicken Pav Bhaji?
Pav Bhaji is a popular vegetarian dish from India that typically consists of a spicy vegetable gravy served with soft buttered bread. Chicken pav bhaji is a variation of this classic dish that includes chicken instead of traditional vegetables. It can be made with any type of chicken but is typically made with boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs. The chicken is cooked until it is very tender and then shredded or chopped into small pieces.
The gravy is made with various spices, including cumin, garam masala, turmeric, and chili powder. However, it can also include fresh ginger, garlic, tomatoes, and onion. Pav bhaji is typically served as street food in India but can also be found in restaurants. It is often eaten as a snack or light meal but can also be served as a main course. Chicken pav bhaji can be garnished with fresh cilantro, diced onions, and lemon wedges.
Further reading: The best Chicken Tikka Kebab recipe to make at home
The origin of Chicken Pav Bhaji
The dish was invented in Mumbai by Ashok Vaidya. In the early 1980s, Vaidya ran a small roadside stall near Mumbai’s central railway station. He would serve simple dishes such as bhaji (a potato and onion curry) with pav (a type of soft bread). One day, Vaidya had the idea to add chicken to his bhaji, and the chicken pav bhaji was born. Vaidya’s dish quickly became popular with those working at the nearby railway station.
Word spread, and soon chicken pav bhaji was being sold all over Mumbai. Today, it is one of the city’s most iconic dishes and can be found in restaurants and street stalls all over India.
Why is Chicken Pav Bhaji loved?
Chicken pav bhaji is a classic dish that people across the globe love. It is a simple dish that can be made in under 30 minutes and is packed with flavor. The dish is popular because it is flavorful, filling, and easy to make. It can be made ahead of time and reheated, making it an excellent option for busy weeknights. The leftovers also make a great snack for the next day.
Is Chicken Pav Bhaji healthy?
Yes, chicken pav bhaji can be considered healthy. It is a good source of protein and also contains vegetables. The main concern with this dish is the fat content, as it is fried in butter. However, you can make your chicken pav bhaji without butter to get a much healthier version.
Chicken is a lean protein source low in fat and calories, making it an ideal food for those looking to lose weight or maintain a healthy weight. Additionally, chicken is a good source of many essential nutrients, including vitamin B6, niacin, phosphorus, and selenium.
Furthermore, chicken consumption has a lower risk of heart disease and certain cancers. So, chicken pav bhaji is a delicious dish that can also benefit your health.
Recipe of Chicken Bhaji
For the chicken bhaji (gravy):
300 grams of minced chicken
1 large onion – sliced
1 teaspoon of pav bhaji masala
15 cloves of peeled garlic
1 tablespoon of kitchen king masla
¼ cup of green peas
1 medium-sized tomato diced
Salt as per taste
1 inch of peeled ginger
1 tablespoon of coriander powder
¼ teaspoon of chaat masala
1/2 tablespoon of turmeric powder
1 tablespoon of red chilli sauce
1 tablespoon of chilli powder
Oil as required
For the pav & toppings:
2 packets of pav buns
100 grams of butter
1 tablespoon of chilli powder
Minced bell peppers, chilies, onions, and coriander
Butter for serving
Salt as required
Oil as required
- Place a pan on medium heat and add two tablespoons of oil. Once the oil gets hot enough, fry the sliced onions until they become translucent. Add the ginger, garlic, and tomatoes. Fry the mixture until the tomatoes become soft.
- Remove the onion mixture from the stove and transfer it into a mixie jar; wait for it to cool down.
- Take the same pan you used to make the onion mixture and heat it on a low flame. Add two tablespoons of oil and wait until it starts smoking. Add all the dry and powdered masalas to the oil and fry it until the oil and the masala separate.
- Add the chicken mince to the masala and fry them well together.
- Grind the fried onion and tomato with water once it returns to room temperature. Afterward, allow it to form a smooth paste.
- Add the ground paste to the chicken and fry it until all the ingredients are well-combined.
- Add the green peas and a teaspoon of salt to the chicken. Mix it well and keep it covered. Cook it on a low flame.
- Once the chicken is cooked, have a taste test to see if anything extra is needed. Basically, check if there is enough salt. Remove from the stove.
- Slice the pav buns in half and toast them on a tava. You can add a teaspoon of oil and butter according to your preference.
- Serve the chicken bhaji in a bowl and top it with chopped onions, capsicum, lime wedges, and coriander. Enjoy!
Further reading: 7 Types of Cheese Burst Pizza You Should Try
This chicken pav bhaji recipe is certainly an easy and delicious way to enjoy a classic Indian dish. This recipe is perfect for a quick and tasty meal with simple ingredients and is capable of being made in under half an hour.