Although there’s an abundance of different varieties of food, khichdi ranks pretty high in the realm of soul-soothing meals. It’s a humble dish that originates from India. The ingredients are easy to find and very affordable. It’s pretty similar to the idea of a hot pot; one can simply add all the ingredients together, cook it in a pressure cooker, and there you have it: soulful khichdi.
It transcends social and regional boundaries. The different elements come together in a subtle elegance. It proves as a versatile canvas for culinary creativity and super healthy for you!
Khichdi Variations for Every Palate
The world of khichdi has many variations and health benefits. The beauty of khichdi lies in its simplicity and adaptability. There are single-grain khichdis and gourmet creations as well. Here are a few types of khichdi you can find popularly :
- Moong dal khichdi is made with split yellow lentils and rice. These are cooked to perfection and then flavoured by the use of simple spices. It’s the quintessential comfort food and acts as a light meal that won’t have you feeling groggy.
- Veggie delight khichdi adds a colourful mix of vegetables like carrots, peas, and French beans. It brings forth a veggie-loaded meal, which makes it healthier.
- Spicy khichdi brings the heat to the mundane dish. Spices like turmeric, cumin and chilli powder come together to add a flavourful kick to the dish. One can also add garam masala or other masalas to bring in more heat.
- Non-veg khichdi exists for meat lovers. The variations that exist are bound to get one smiling. There’s chicken khichdi or mutton khichdi, which adds the goodness of meat to the regular khichdi. It brings a savoury goodness to the khichdi.
- The gourmet khichdi makes use of toppings like roasted nuts, caramelised onions or yoghurt.
Health benefits of Khichdi
A khichdi is the first meal someone would offer you when you’re feeling poorly. It’s incorporated every once in a while into meal plans to bring about that nutritional kick. It’s filled with goodness and will feel like a hug to your belly.
- Khichdi proves easy to digest. It’s soft and comes with sufficient fibre that’ll aid in your digestion. There are a lot of people with sensitive stomachs; khichdi would help in such a situation. It’s great for when you’re ill because it has nutrients that are easy to absorb and is a rich energy source.
- Rich in protein and fibre. The lentils and rice bring in a rich dose of protein and fibre. As a meal, it provides sustained energy and promotes better gut health.
- Khichdi is a good Ayurvedic meal and is recommended in the Ayurvedic diet. Promoting balance in your diet is important. A wholesome meal such as khichdi supports overall well-being.
- Khichdi is low in fat and cholesterol. It’s good for your heart and is a low-fat meal option. It’s perfect for those who are trying to have a clean diet. It’s also a plant-based diet.
- It’s also a highly customizable dish. The khichdi is a highly customisable dish, which means you can add any number of elements. It incorporates many nutrients into your diet, like vitamins, minerals and antioxidants.
A food enthusiast and a blogger – someone who likes to eat and write about it. I’m passionate about exploring different cuisines and challenging my palette. I give into my food craving regularly and am often on the hunt to find my new favorite food place in town.